"To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die."
Florent David Bailly ’59 died on June 28, 2008 in Pagosa Springs, CO. At Mines he earned a degree in geology. A full 23 years later, he attended Denver Seminary, where he earned his master’s of divinity in 1982. From that time until his retirement on Christmas Eve, 2006, he served as pastor of Pine Community Church in Pine Grove, CO. He was a devout Christian and a loving husband, father, grandfather, brother and uncle. He is survived by his wife, Mary; his daughters, Deborah and Rebecca; his sister Elizabeth Glenn; and three grandchildren.

Peter Robert Bunning ’99 of Houston, TX, passed away on Wednesday, March 12, 2008. Born in 1977 in Rock Springs, WY, he graduated from Rock Springs High School in 1995. He graduated with honors from Mines in 1999 with a bachelor’s in engineering, electrical specialty. While at Mines he was a member of Blue Key, the varsity golf team, and was responsible for the lighting of the “M.” He was employed by several engineering firms in the Houston area and was responsible for designing components for NASA and the International Space Station. At the time of his death he was employed as an electrical engineer for Agar Corporation. He enjoyed spending time with family and friends, being outdoors, writing poetry, fishing, camping and golfing. He was also an avid dancer and enjoyed card games. Peter is remembered by those who knew him as loving, generous and caring. He is survived by his mother, Clara Bunning; his father, Peter J. Bunning, and his wife, Rose; his sisters, Karen Moon and Marla Johnson; and his fiancé Elizabeth Harwood.

Walter L. Crow ’41 died January 21, 2008. Born in 1918 in Monroe, WI, he grew up in Denver and graduated from East High School. After completing his degree in mining engineering at Mines, he joined the Navy and completed officer training at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. It was while he was attending the Naval Academy that he and Mary Estelle Fitzsimmons were married. After completing submarine school, he was assigned to the USS Gabilan for the remainder of World War II. After the war, Walter became a sales engineer in explosives for DuPont Company. He then switched careers by purchasing a chicken hatchery in Longmont, CO, where he lived and worked until the mid 1950s. After turning the chicken ranch over to his younger brother, he returned to Denver to become a sales engineer with Colorado Fuel & Iron. He later moved to A.R. Wilfley & Sons where he worked in the same capacity. In the early 1970s, he and his wife moved to Tucson, AZ, where he opened Crow Company, distributing Wilfley pumps, industrial pipes and valves. He retired in the 1980s in Summerfield. His favorite passtimes were traveling, boating, marquetry and volunteer activities. In 2004 after his wife’s death, he moved to West Hills Village, Portland. He is survived by his sons Walter and John; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Back to top

John P. Denny ’42 of Shillington, PA, died on June 11, 2008. Born in Pittsburgh in 1921, he was raised in Denver, CO. While at Mines, he was a volunteer for the US Army Air Corps and an ROTC Student. After graduating from Mines with a degree in metallurgical engineering, he served his country as an engineering officer in the Southeast Asian theater during World War II. Following the war, he was married to Jane Dawson in Glenwood Springs. After a brief time working for the Battelle Institute in Ohio, he and his wife moved to Salt Lake City where he earned a doctorate in metallurgy at the University of Utah. He then went on to work for General Electric, where he researched metal applications for products such as jet engines. Leaving GE, he worked for Beryllium Corporation, where he helped pioneer developments of products used in space exploration, including Project Mercury, the first US manned orbiting space program. Over the course of his career, he earned several patents and authored a number of technical publications. He enjoyed golfing, fishing, working on computers and reading, and was a devoted husband and father. After his retirement he and Jane moved to St. Charles, where he was an active volunteer in the Parkside Meadows Retirement Community. He is survived by Jane, his wife of 62 years; his sons Bob and Ed; his daughter Kathy Holland; eight grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

Charles Ringer Fitch ’49 of Olympia Fields, IL died on March 1, 2008. Charles graduated from Mines with a professional degree in mining and shortly thereafter married Valerie Rose. He went on to become the owner of Charles Ringer Co. He served on several boards, including the South Chicago Savings Bank/Advance Bank, Trinity Hospital and South Chicago YMCA. He was also a member of Triluminar Lodge #767 and Medinah Temple Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He also served as a 10th Ward republican committeeman, and was a sergeant in the U.S. Army in Europe during World War II. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge and was a recipient of a Silver Star and Purple Heart. He later went on to serve in the Korean War as a 2nd Lieutenant. He is survived by his daughter, Glenna Elvery; two grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

C.M. “Cam” Hales ’48 of Columbia, TN, died on June 12, 2008. He was born in 1921 near Boaz, AL, where he graduated from Boaz High School and Snead Junior College. After his father’s death during the Great Depression, he helped his mother run the family farm. In World War II he served the US Army Air Corps as a pilot in the European theatre, attending Mines after being discharged. During this time he married Virginia Ann Weaver in San Antonio, TX. In 1952 he began working for Monsanto Company in Columbia, TN, where he worked for nearly 35 years. He was in charge of the plant’s surface mining operation for a number of years, and in 1986 he retired from his position as the head of the mining department. While in Columbia he served in various civic organizations, and was known as a loving husband, father, grandfather and friend. He is survived by his sons Thomas and Randy; his daughter Ann Hales; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Back to top

Paul D. Hinrichs ’53 of Ventura, CA, died on May 21, 2008. He was born in 1932 in Denver, CO. While earning his degree in geological engineering from Mines, he served as the president of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity, and played varsity basketball. After graduating, he began his career as a production geologist with Shell Oil Co. in the Delaware Basin, Wasson Field in Texas, and later the Altamont Field in Wyoming. He then joined Royal Dutch Shell in 1973 as chief development geologist for several oil fields in Oman and the North Sea. In 1978 he returned to Denver and joined Petro-Lewis Corporation as chief geologist/vice-president in charge of development of new properties. More recently he conducted exploration and development in Guatemala, California and Siberia. He retired from Benton Oil & Gas Co. in 2001. He was a lifelong member of AAPG and enjoyed golf, traveling, cribbage and sports trivia. He is survived by his son David; his daughter, Kit; his brothers Charles and Louis; and two grandsons.

Craig R. Hutchinson ’64 of Falls Church, VA, passed away on October 30, 2007. Born in 1942, he graduated from Mines with a degree in mathematics and later earned a master’s in mathematics from the University of Arizona. For more than 38 years he taught social, exhibition and competitive dancing. Initially teaching ballroom and night club, he later taught all styles of swing. As a retired lieutenant colonel from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, he formed the United States Military Academy Swing Dance Club at West Point. The author of Swing Dancer, a Swing Dancers Manual, he wrote over 30 articles on swing dancing, produced four swing dance instruction videotapes and held numerous positions in various dance organizations. He taught swing to servicemen in Germany, South Vietnam, Australia, Japan, and Taiwan. He married his long-time dance partner Lucy Renzi. He received a Purple Heart for his service in Vietnam and was buried in Arlington Cemetery. He is survived by his wife Lucy, and two stepchildren, Josh Renzi and Tara Touzeau.

Ralph D. Jacobs ’43 died on February 27, 2008. Born in Denver, CO, in 1920, he graduated from Mines with a degree in petroleum engineering. While at Mines he was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. During World War II he served as a lieutenant in the US Navy in the South Pacific. After working for several companies in Colorado and Kansas, he joined Bechtel Corporation in 1965 working for their pipeline division until 1981. During these years he was involved in numerous major pipeline projects around the world, including Australia, Southeast Asia, Iraq, Turkey, the Netherlands, Canada, France, Germany, Britain, and Norway among others. In 1981 he retired from Bechtel and joined CB Lester & Associates in Longview, TX, as a consultant. He worked primarily in Turkey and Iraq until 1986, when he retired. He and his wife then moved to Mendocino, CA, where they enjoyed playing golf and taking art and computer classes at the local community college. He returned to Golden in 1993 to attend his 50th Class Reunion, which he greatly enjoyed. He is survived by his wife, Rosemary.

Back to top

William Kelsay ’58 of Calgary died on June 6, 2008. Born in 1936 and brought up in Anthony, NM, he attended Gadston High School, leading the football team through four undefeated seasons as their starting quarterback. He attended Mines with an athletic scholarship, during which time he became a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity. The same year he earned his degree in petroleum engineering, he married his high school sweetheart, Berwyn McKinney. After serving in the Army Corps of Engineers, Bill went on to a career in the oil industry. Starting as a roughneck, he worked his way to president of Jennings Drilling and retired from Lynx Services in 1992. He served as president of the Canadian Association of Oilwell Drilling Contractors and chaired the CAODC committee that produced the first edition of the Drilling Manual and the first edition the Standard Drilling Contract, for which he was awarded an honorary lifetime membership. He was also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers; the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers; the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy, and Petroleum; and the Society of Petroleum Engineers. An athlete, he loved to ski, golf and fly-fish. He also enjoyed music and was skilled at intricate needlepoint work. He was known for a passionate joy for life and a gift for storytelling. He is survived by his daughters, Connie Hendrick and Kim Kelsay; and four grandchildren.

Mario Marcanio ’56 of McMurray, PA, died on June 5, 2007. Born in Rochester, NY, he served three years in the Army during World War II. Ever since he attended pre-engineering courses at his high school where his chemistry professor had recognized his interest in mineral science and told him about Mines, Marc had been determined to attend. And in 1950 he hitchhiked across the country from Rochester to Golden to do so. When asked about this intrepid step, he replied, “After three years in New Guinea what’s to be afraid of?” In 1954 he met and married Carolyn McCoy, and the family then moved into Prospector Park for the next two years. He graduated from Mines with a degree in metallurgical engineering. While at Mines, he was a member of the Theta Chi fraternity. After graduation he began his career as a process metallurgist and materials engineer at Allis Chalmers Mfg. Co. Subsequently he worked as a metallurgist in the steel industry and in nuclear power. Throughout his life he visited Golden many times, most recently in 2006 for his 50th Reunion. He and his family were thrilled to attend and were inspired by watching students receive their degrees. He is survived by his wife, Carolyn; his sons, Michael, Joseph, Patrick and Peter; his daughters, Christine Romance and Natalie Marciano; twelve grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

John D. McIver ’50 of Mesa, AZ, died on April 30, 2008. After graduating from Fort Collins High School in 1942, he attended Yale where he studied mechanical engineering. From 1943 until 1946 he served in the Air Force, primarily in the Pacific Theater. He came to Mines in 1946, where he earned a degree in metallurgical engineering and was awarded the H.O. Bosworth Award in Metallurgy upon graduation. He then began a long and successful career in the copper industry, going to work for Kennecott Copper Corporation, in Salt Lake City, UT, immediately after graduation. He transferred to Kennecott’s refining division in 1957, where he remained until 1969. He then went to work for Newmont Mining for two years before joining Magma Copper Company in Arizona as the refinery superintendent. He remained with the company for 18 years before retiring. John was a member of American Institute of Metallurgical Engineers and the Society of Mining Engineers. He remained actively involved with the Colorado School of Mines Alumni Association and the Class of 1950, and in 1997 organized a highly successful class reunion Caribbean cruise aboard the small supply ship, Amazing Grace. He is survived by his daughter, Helen; his sons Jack, Richard and Tom; and his brother James.

Back to top

Lawrence S. Melzer ’39 of Midland, TX, died on April 21, 2008. Born in 1915 and brought up in Woodworth, ND, he began college at North Dakota State, but transferred to Mines when a professor mentioned he should pursue math and engineering. After graduating with a degree in petroleum engineering, he began working in the oil and gas fields of Texas. On a visit to his mother’s hometown, he met Dorothy Brooks of Kansas, whom he married less than a year later. His professional career began at Stanolind Petroleum. In the early fifties he began work for Statex Petroleum where his team discovered several new fields. Deciding to strike out on his own, he acquired and ran the Kroenlein’s Geological Service. Larry and his family were very active members of the Memorial Christian Church, where he served as chairman of the board in the sixties. A generous supporter of Colorado School of Mines, he was also a loyal member of the Exchange Club and served on the suicide prevention hotline. His hobbies included golfing, bird hunting, watching sports, reading and helping others. He is survived by his wife, Dorothy; daughters Betty Moore and Martha Savage; son Stephen; nine grandchildren; and twelve great-grandchildren.

Thomas Oliver Mohr ’56 of Saint George, UT, died on May 10, 2008. Born in Ft. Worth, TX, in 1931 the son of a geologist, his father’s work took the family to Chile when he was aged 8. He graduated high school from Wentworth Military Academy in Lexington, MO, and entered Mines the following autumn. After two years, he enlisted in the Marine Corps. He then returned to Mines to earn a degree in petroleum engineering. His work took him to Saudi Arabia, Peru, Venezuela, Argentina and Scotland. Thomas loved being an engineer and held Mines dear to his heart. He is survived by his wife, Rosemary, and two sons.

Karl William Mote ’49 died at his home in Spokane, WA, on April 4, 2008. He was born in Plainview, NE, in 1927 and grew up in Denver. He graduated early from South High School and entered Mines in the spring, completing his freshman year before enlisting in the Navy. In 1946 he was discharged from the military just after finishing boot camp. Returning to Mines that fall, he went on to graduate with a degree in metallurgical engineering. He began his professional career at US Steel in Provo, UT, that same year. By 1966 he was working from corporate headquarters in Pittsburgh, PA, managing international ore shipments and distributions from the domestic smelters in the east and south. In 1976, he assumed the newly created position of executive director of the Northwest Mining Association. He helped the organization grow six-fold in size to 3,000 members and was a strong voice on issues affecting the mining industry. He is survived by his wife, Elva; his daughters Karen, Kris and Kathy; his sons Karl and Kelly; ten grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Back to top

Herbert Poitz ’41 of Houston, TX, died on December 26, 2007. After graduating from Mines with a degree in petroleum engineering, he joined the U.S. Army and was later honorably discharged as a 1st lieutenant in 1946. He went on to become a petroleum engineer with Shell Oil Company and retired after 37 years. His favorite activities included hunting and fishing, traveling and golf. He also enjoyed his monthly retirement group meetings. He is survived by his wife of 63 years, Ilene; his daughter, Diane Edwards; and one grandchild.

Howard K. Schmuck ’40 of Arvada, CO, died on January 21, 2008. Born in 1918 he grew up in Denver, CO, and graduated from North Denver High School. He graduated from Mines with a degree in metallurgy. Until entering the US Army, he worked as a metallurgist for Alcoa in Buffalo, NY. Because of his job, he was eligible to opt out of service, but instead served for four years overseas as an ordinance officer in the Middle East and Europe during World War II. Following discharge, he returned to his metallurgical career and worked for Union Carbide in Houston, TX. He returned to Colorado to work for Colorado Fuel & Iron as a sales engineer/manager in mining products, including grinding media and roof bolts. As part of client calls, he frequently went into underground coal and hard rock mines throughout the Rocky Mountains to install and test roof bolts. These efforts and his technical articles for trade publications helped bring about the adaption of roof bolts by the mining industry. He was a lifelong outdoorsman, enjoying hunting and fishing—especially fly-fishing on the Colorado River. He is survived by his sons Carl, Gary and Gordon, and his daughter, Adrienne.

Frederick L. Stubbs ’54 of Tucson, AZ, died on February 28, 2008. Born in Lubbock, TX, he served two years in the US Army Air Force before coming to Mines to begin his degree in metallurgical engineering. In 1948 he married Rose Mary Dawkins. After graduating from Mines, he enjoyed four years working on the Gold Coast of Australia with Rose Mary. In 1958 the family moved to Tucson, where he began teaching at the University of Arizona. In later years he worked for the Arizona Bureau of Mines and Phelps Dodge. His final and happiest retirement came in 1982 when he built a machine shop in which he designed and manufactured prototypes and provided maintenance services for the woodworking industry in Tucson. He is survived by his sons Scott and Roger; three grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Back to top

Jerry Johnson Swift ’55 of Bethesda, MD, died on June 10, 2008. Born in Columbus, OH, he graduated from Mines with a degree in geology. He then joined the Army Corp of Engineers in Germany for a tour of duty. Returning from Europe, he began working on a wild cat oil rig in West Texas. Then, as an engineer for the Civil Service, he built bridges, roads and dams in Oklahoma. He received a master’s degree from Iowa State University in health physics and, in 1970, a PhD from Catholic University in nuclear engineering with a specialty in radiation safety. He worked for two years in Germany for the Institute for Reactor Sicherheit. After returning to Washington, DC, he took a position with the Environmental Protection Agency where he was responsible for reviewing nuclear power plant impact statements and making comments to the Atomic Energy Commission. He joined the Department of Energy, where he reviewed nuclear programs and prepared reports as part of the Technology Assessment Division. His specialty was nuclear waste management programs. In the mid-1980s, he took a job with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s Office of Research. He remained there until he retired in the late 1990s. While at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission he worked on the recovery from the Three Mile Island nuclear plant accident and later managed research on the incident. He enjoyed sailing in the Chesapeake Bay and hiking in Potomac Falls Park. He is survived by his children, David Swift, Christina Dodd, Jennifer Houser and Steven Swift; and nine grandchildren.

Marvin Lee Wagoner ’51 of Katy, TX, passed away February 11, 2008. He was born in 1925 in Ellis County, KS. Having served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II, he came to Mines after being discharged to earn his degree in geophysics. After graduation, he worked for Geophysical Services in Dallas, TX, which took him all over the United States and Mexico. He was subsequently employed by the Chevron Corporation and the Gulf Oil Company in Casper, WY. He is survived by his wife Crystal; his son, William; his daughter, Cynthia L. Smith; his brothers Norman and Darrell; his sisters Eluena Walter and Annalie Runge; four grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

W. Stanley Wimberley ’53 of Kearney, NE, died November 4, 2007 in Houston, TX. He graduated from Mines as a petroleum engineer and was employed by Texaco after serving two years in the US Army in Japan. Later he joined Rockwell International in Kearney as quality assurance manager. He also worked for American Petroleum Institute in Dallas before joining Petroleum Professionals International, a consulting firm in Houston. He was a member and past president of Sertoma in Kearney, NE. In addition to love and devotion to his wife and family, he had a passion for music. He served as choir director in several churches throughout his life and especially enjoyed barbershop music—he helped form the Hardrock Harmoneers quartet from among members of the Glee Club attending the All-Alumni Banquet held over Reunion weekend. He is survived by his wife of 50 years, Carole; his son, Lane; his daughter, Dana; and four grandchildren.

Also in Memoriam
Dexter C. Hatch ’51 ....................................April 13, 2008
John C. Kingston ’35 .................................November 13, 2006
William N. Miner ’49 ..................................October 25, 2007
John R. Riter ’56 ........................................June 15, 2007
James L. Shore ’53 ....................................March 21, 2008

Back to top